AM Report Pearls: Ddx Recurrent Strokes
- Common things being common: small vessel hypertensive disease!
- Cardioembolic disease from AFib or from endocarditis
- Hypercoaguable states causing recurrent strokes
- CNS vasculitis
- Certain infections causing strokes by different mechanisms which we will review!
- Cardioembolic causes – usually bacterial endocarditis including HACEK organisms
- Vasculitis which can be caused by cocci, syphilis, or TB
- Vasculopathy which can be associated with zoster – INCREASED CVA risk after zoster (esp head & neck)
- Ddx diseases that cause cauda equina enhancement:
- Lyme disease
AM Report Pearls: Approved indications for Desmopressin
- Von Willebrand’s disease & Hemophilia A
- Treatment of diabetes insipidus
- Off-label use in patients with uremia associated with acute or chronic renal failure
- AND treatment for nocturia in the elderly as well as for enuresis in children – but with caution and patients should be monitored for hyponatremia